Tuesday, September 25, 2012

In every season turn, turn, turn...



Well it looks like we have so many things to update our friends in family on, that I am not sure where to start. After my blogpost in April we finished up the school year and looked forward to our summer ahead. I have some fun things to post sometime soon about vacations, new crafts I have been working on, recipes I have been using, and decorating projects in the house. However, those will have to come at a later time...

Like the leaves turning colors here in Colorado, our life has taken an interesting turn since June. On June 12th we celebrated our one year anniversary up in Breckenridge. It was a beautiful time celebrating what the Lord has done and coming together with goals for this next year in our marriage. Not too long after this trip, we were delighted to find out that we were going to expand our family and have a child! We decided to wait and tell anyone until our first Dr.'s appointment at 8 weeks along. At this appt. we were unable to hear the heartbeat or see much growth of a child. This clearly came as a devestation to us both, but the Dr. said that we should come back next week and see if maybe we were just off on our dates. The following week we were given the news that I had a blited ovum and would not bear this child, but miscarry. I could go on and on with my thoughts and feeling during this time, but it would be a longer post. I was very aware that this could happen since 1 in 4 pregnancies result in a miscarriage, but I never thought it would be ME. After waiting three more weeks to miscarry, my body wasn't naturally doing it, so I ended up having a D&C on August 10th. I will say this whole process has been LONG and at many points very hard and sad. I am constantly telling myself the positives of this situation, like what a blessing it was that I COULD even get pregnant. I definitely go through waves of emotions even to this day, but I know that is very normal. We are believing God to bring us another child and resting in His promises that He desires to give good gifts to his children.

And here is where our life turned even more....
Four days after my D&C Adam went to a Dr. for a follow up appointment regarding an EKG and found out that he would be having to have a catheter ablation on his heart. HEART SURGERY, what?! That is what went through our heads. WOW, seriously thought that we had already been through enough when losing our child. I will say that the past month has been for sure one of the hardest times in the Life of a Strah. Below is an explanation from Adam of what is going on with him:

I originally went in to the doctor for a routine visit about some chest tightening I had been experiencing for the last couple of years that had been diagnosed as muscle related from stress and not cardiac related.  In that visit they did an EKG and my doctor found an abnormality that he thought looked like WPW (Wolff Parkinson White) but sent it on to a cardiologist for further review.  They sent me in for a stress test on the treadmill with a cardiologist.  They found my heart to be in good condition but also found the electrical problem of WPW as I worked out on the treadmill.  It has concerned the doctors because apparently the WPW showed up more frequently as I worked out and not the other way around which is usually the case apparently.   I saw an electrophysiologist and he has classified me as low risk for a life threatening episode seeing as how I have never had any symptoms throughout my life but with the way my heart responded to the stress test they have suggested having the catheter ablation surgery done to cure the problem. 

After finding this all out and talking to MANY Dr.'s, as well as people who have had the surgery, we decided to go ahead with the surgery. The surgery will be THIS Tuesday Sept. 25th starting at 8:30 am   and will be a 4-6 hour procedure. Adam will then have to be on his back for another 6 hours while the catheter site in his leg heals.  He will spend that night in the hospital and then hopefully be able to go home in the morning. The surgery is happening at St. Josephs hospital in Denver.

*** WE HAVE A TENTATIVE DATE FOR TUESDAY OCTOBER 2***
(The Dr. had a family emergency and we are hoping will be back next week, but they are unsure)

Although this has been so much for us to handle in such a short time, we have grown closer as a couple in our marriage and in our faith. The verse in the Bible that I am constantly praying over and over is:

 "Do not be anxious about ANYTHING, but in everything by prayer and petition, WITH thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the PEACE which passes ALL understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." Phil. 4:7

Our prayer is we live with this peace that we don't even understand how we have it, but we just do. We know that we will only be stronger through all of this and pray that God is glorified. We are so grateful for his love and comfort during this time through friends and family and even through His Word. 

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stone and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace,
What does the worker gain from his toil? I have seen the burden God has laid on men.
He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from the beginning to end.
Ecclesiastes 3:1-11


As our seasons continue to turn, we are so thankful for your thoughts and prayers.  All the support we have been given already has been amazing and we are so blessed to have all of you in our lives.

Love,

Adam and Brooke

3 comments:

  1. Sweet Friend we will definitely be praying for you guys! Let us know if there is anything we can do!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. That's a lot for you guys to process. I've been there with losing a baby -- if you need to talk, I'm here! I'll be praying for you guys as you walk through this difficult season and lean in closer to the Lord. He never, never wastes our pain and suffering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brookie.
    I've thought about you SO much lately.
    I just wrote about my miscarriage and have wanted to call you.
    But then I'd probably cry and I'm tired of crying. :)
    Anyway, I love you friend!
    I miss you!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete